Friday, September 20, 2013

Wash Day Routine: Deep Conditioning - The Smooth Criminal (Reload)

(Due to my accidental click or swipe on my phone as I was clearing out my drafts. I somehow accidently deleted my wash day routine. Here it is once again)

Hey ladies and gents! Jess here again! I thought I would share my routine that I go thru on my wash day. Hopefully you'll find some helpful tips, or think to try a new product that I use for your own hair. My wash day is noth that much different with my TWA (tweenie weenie afro for those who don't know) other than me having to wash in sections before I did my BC. Other than that here goes nothing:

1 - Since my hair is short now, I don't take as long as I use to before in the bathroom. I say now my washes are 30 minutes or less. I wet my hair all the way through with warm water, then lather up with the shampoo using Crème of Nature Argan Oil Ultra Moisturizing -Sulfate Free- Shampoo. Now I know some ladies love the sulfate for that "clean feeling", I know my hair can handle sulfates, but I choose to give it a fighting chance by not using it. I massage hair/scalp for a few minutes, playing with my curls, making a mohawk since I am a huge dork, then rinse it all out. If you didn't get all of the shampoo, don't worry you'll get it all after the conditioning period.

2 - After washing, I use a packet of Crème of Nature Argan Oil Intensive Deep Conditioning treatment, getting it all over the coils and curls. I gently detangle using a wide tooth comb, now pause for a moment - Ladies and gents if you are newly natural and don't have a wide tooth comb. Don't even think to using that itty bitty fine comb through your hair. Fine combs are like the Grim Reaper to natural hair, unless you like rocking a few bald patches, I strongly suggest in taking that loose change in your pocket and purchasing one.

3 - When I'm done detangling I put a plastic cap on, or if you don't have plastic caps you can be generous to the planet and recycle. Use plastic grocery bags, it works the same. Since I do not have a hooded dryer, I use a regular blow dry on med-high heat (occasionally use the cool button on my dryer), and rotate around my head for 15 minutes. Now the minimum is 10 minutes for conditioner to latch on to the hair follicles. You can go longer than the allotted time if you choose, but that is your own risk. I go for 15 minutes max with the deep conditioner. After that time has pass, I thoroughly wash out my hair under warm-cool water.

4 - I rinse everything out, I pat my head to get all excess water out, slap on my Turbie Twist and go about my day in my apt. Now some don't know this when they dry their hair. When drying be -gentle- since most towels are not microfiber. You can't go all gung ho with your hair. All of those hairs that you assume are just shed hairs on your towel, can be the end result of you rubbing your head like a maniac.

5 - Once my hair is a little more dry, but still damp I apply soy oil from Hollywood Beauty, working it through my hair with my fingers. Then I use one or two of the three conditioners. It works for me, not sure if it will work for someone else: Crème of Nature Argan Oil Strength and Shine Leave In (obvious enough that I like the CON line), Cantu Shea Butter Leave In and Eden Bodyworks Peppermint Tea Tree Oil Hair Milk. I work the leave in through my curls and coils, making sure every strand gets it dose. Lastly I use a little bit of Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Hair Lotion through my hair, getting everything worked in. Viola! I'm done!

Now I do hope that I have given some ideas, a way for people who might of been struggling with how to wash their TWA and with what. I won't say that it's a guarantee the products I use will work for you, but it doesn't hurt to try right? Here's a nice tip for those who have a hard time getting some nourishment to their scalp.

What I did was purchased a color applicator from my local beauty store (which would be Sally's), I put whatever liquid oil I want to apply to my scalp in several areas on my head. I use my fingertips to massage the oil, spreading it all over. Now you have to give your head a nice rub down, no quickies or else you'll find oil dripping down your face, neck, ears etc. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to comment below. Well folks, I wish you well. Stay positive and happy washing!

No comments:

Post a Comment