Monday, September 29, 2014

Whip It Up!: 1st Attempt at Making My Own Whipped Shea Butter

This is a project I've been wanting to do for a while, but didn't have the knowledge or funds to do so. I had this idea based on watching many YouTube vids, to make my own whipped shea butter hair and body cream. Shea butter is my numero uno favorite sealant to put in my hair. Of course it is a pain in the ass to use if you have thick hair. After saving up some cash, researching essential oils, looking up more vids. I felt confident enough to give this a go. So one morning after work, I went to Wegmans to grab all ingredients.
 
I get home, got everything all laid out, ready to rumble. I'm just pouring in this, and scooping out that into my medium plastic bowl whipping away. I'm doing this all by hand mind you, since I do not own an beater/mixer. Then....trouble hit. My concoction was not whipping or fluffy. It was rather....liquidly. I thought maybe add more coconut oil <-----Second Mistake! The first was not having enough shea butter to compensate for the amount of oil I used in the beginning. Yes I was dumb enough to think, that the coconut oil would solidify the mixture more. Nope. Luckily later on that day, I went to the store to grab some more shea butter and saved my batch.
 
In my honest opinion. It did not come out the way I had in mind. Although it is very moisturizing and makes my hair and skin feel nice. I feel as if it is not quite right, maybe I should try a different oil such as vitamin E, or lanolin. Maybe even mango butter, though I have never tried that. *adds to my check list of natural things to try*  The mix so far works well on my hair, but I feel like I can do better. I am thinking, I would make an actual video on my procedure.....once I get it straight hahaha! Below are some pictures of the stuff I used and end results. (Jojoba, coconut and extra virgin olive oils, peppermint and tangerine essential oils for scent and of course shea butter).