Wednesday, July 30, 2014

If It's Too Tight....Talking On The Edges

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
What are your first thoughts when you see this picture? I'm pretty sure it goes along the lines of "Oh she's doing her hair" , "Looking slightly rough". Or maybe not, I can only assume. I wanted to talk about roots and edges. Now the reason why my hair is half done, is not because I was in the middle of doing it. I had already braided it up earlier in the day, but after being bothered with the feeling of my edges being tugged but Edge Monster, I took it down, gave my scalp a 10 minute break and re-braided *gently and looser*.
 
Now I've noticed that some styles that females and males wear, whether it's braids, weaves, puffs or twists are edgy, tight and nice. Let's go back to the second word "tight". Now how tight is too tight for a style? Have you ever heard of Traction Alopecia?
 
 
***Traction alopecia is a form of alopecia, or gradual hair loss, caused primarily by pulling force being applied to the hair. This commonly results from the sufferer frequently wearing their hair in a particularly tight ponytail, pigtails, or braids.
 
 
Now if you can feel consistent pulling on your roots, tugging on your edges, even developing an headache. Then it's time to take down/out that style. No hairstyle is worth losing your hair over. I mean think of Naomi Campbell? All the constant pulling and tugging of her hair, causing her hairline to run for the hills.
 
 
I am telling you.
 
 
 
 
I know it looks good and everything.
 



But is it really worth it?
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
So ladies and gents. If it hurts you, take it out. If your child is saying it hurts a lot, you better bust out the coconut oil and go with Plan B. I hope this little article in my corner brings awareness of this condition.