Friday, July 18, 2014

First Attempt At Perm Rods!

During the past few weeks, I've been getting bored with my hair. Not my texture or anything, I love my texture. I just been bored with the same "style", which normally consists of tying my hair up in a puff, or sometimes a stretched fro with a head band or twisted in front. But I've just been getting bored. I go to my BFF YouTube and my natural hair groups on Facebook for some style ideas. A lovely woman goes by the name MissVeeHolistichaircare from the blog Coily Queens Rock, gave me an idea of roller setting my hair. I didn't have magnetic rollers, but I did have a lot of perm rods that I have never used before and decided to put them to work. Check out the results below and I'll tell you what I used!
 
 
 
 
 
 
Mostly successful! I only say that because I had some issues with the back, thinking due to the size of the rods. I did run out to Sallys to grab an different sized pack of rods. How I got my hair that shiny was:
 
*Freshly washed my hair with shampoo, and deep conditioned as well using Organix Coconut water shampoo and Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle condish.
 
*After I wash out all product from my hair, I blotted each each, with my Turbie Twist towel to pull excess water. Then I use the LOC method using Silk Elements leave in crème, Avacado oil and 100% pure raw African shea butter to seal everything.
 
*Then at the very end of applying moisturizers, I sectioned smaller pieces of my hair and used Motions wrap foaming lotion to set, then roll up the rod on my hair. Repeat the process with each big section, then part off the hair into smaller sections for the rods.
 
I did blow dry my hair, at first was on cool to low heat for 30 minutes, but after seeing that my hair was still wet and Frolisha (the name of my hair) she was like "Why you playing?" so I used medium heat for 20 minutes and my hair dried (I really should invest in a bonnet dryer). I'll admit I kinda looked like the grandmother from Family Matters. One lesson I have learn is that to close to NEVER, rod set my hair after I washed it unless I plan on staying at home for the day, and I damn sure wasn't going to walk around in public and go to work looking like Big Worm ("What up Big Perm! I mean Big Worm" - in my Smokey voice). Next time I will just twist, wait till my hair is dry, then use the perm rods.
 
Well that is it from me for now, until next time. See ya on the flip side!