Thursday, April 17, 2014

Hair Woes: Stepping Up and Hair Goals

I have a love/hate relationship with my natural hair. I love the way she curls up and shrinks, letting me know she's fine and healthy, but at the same time its like "man I look like the day when I BC'ed" oh my straight hair mentality. But it's not the shrinkage, its these SSK's (single strand knots). You guys are going to get tired of me talking about it, but a sista is in need of some help. I use to think that I can just let my hair fly all out...not this mess of curls I can't. So I stepped up my hair game and changed my regimen a lil. Here is a rough draft of what I want to do:

*Wash day - Section off my hair and use cheapie condish and oil to do a pre poo treatment. Wash and DC with normal condish, while keeping my hair sectioned off. Apply Leave in (Shea Moisture and CON), Oils, Jojoba oil and seal with shea butter. Twist off sections. (Unless I have somewhere to go, then fluff that puff).

*Continue wearing hair in mostly twists, refreshing them daily with water and oil if needed. Possibly daily take down, finger detangle and retwist.

*Apply MINIMUM oil to scalp if needed. Do not want to clog up pores. Encourage scalp to produce natural oils.

*Opt to using Denman brush more for detangling sessions.

*Drink more water, exercise

*Possibly try out the "Inversion Method" (For those that don't know, the Inversion Method is when you would apply a hot oil treatment (if I am correct) to your hair, hang upside down for a few minutes while massaging your scalp. I DO NOT RECOMMEND you to do this if you have easy fainting spells, pregnancy, any type of injury etc. I am still doing my research with this.


That is my rough draft, add more, less, I don't know. This is how it's playing out so far in my head. Hopefully this and other tweaks will help me with my hair goal. Ever since I was a little girl I was always fascinated by the story of Rapunzel. Skip the prince, it was all about that hair. Ever since then I wanted to have super long hair. I have been told before that unless I was anything other than being black. I will never have long hair (who the fudge tells a kid that???). What I say is challenge accepted! I am aiming for waist length hair. I going to say fuck that stereo type, I'm going beyond the gold. I set up my first part of my goal, to be shoulder length to arm pit length by December 2014. I believe I can do this. I don't even want to hear about genetics or terminal length and here are my reasons:

- Genetics can play a role in hair growth and texture. BUT we never know our parents true textures, if they press -n- curl, perm and weave the up all the time. Mom can just have short hair due to a medical condition, she cut it, or processing.

- Terminal length is for real....but we never know what's our terminal length due to outside factors. Wind, heat, dirt, breakage occurs on a daily basis with hair. We can't even look to our parents for it, since they are in the same boat as us.

If I can get to waist length in 3yrs I will be so ecstatic! It has always been a big dream of mine to have super long hair to whip around. I will probably hair it, but I will be loving it. And with that I will close this blog and provide updates of my hair life. Also thinking about doing a separate instagram account or twitter dedicated to my hair life. Or I can just be the lazy social media person and just use my regular instagram lol. See ya on the flip side!